Have a little faith...
You know what I'm sick of?? Grr.. I can't even stand it.
All these people that have some sort of prejudice or bad expiriance with the military and try to tell me that... well, I'll give you examples.
My recruter came into the dojo and got introduced and all that jazz. After he left I was talking to some "un-named person" about what we did in poolie meetings and stuff, and they asked if I liked my recruter. I said "Yes, I not only have a high respect for him, but I also value his friendship and mentoring." This "UP" then declared that is was good that I liked him now becasue I would "Grow to hate that man".
And I know that bootcamp is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I'm not sugar-coating it. But my goodness! Am I not allowed to have a positive outlook on it?? Can I not look forward to all the they will teach me, and all the things I will have a chance to do? Can I not be excited about the more interesting things that are going to happen to me? It seems like every time I say that I'm exctied about bootcamp people laugh at me like I'm either niive or stupid. Is there no respect anywhere???? Do you know that not once have I been thanked for signing away 5 years or more of my life to help protect these stupid little people that run around pretending they know what's going to happen to me? Do have any clue as to how many times people have warned me about the "temptation" that goes along with working with mostly males. They tell me that I'll be raped.. they tell me that it'll be too hard... they tell me I'll hate the structure, that I won't pass... Well I say "SHUT UP!" I will NOT be a statistic! I will NOT give up, give in, be weak, or let someone take advantage of me. I am not the type of girl to sit back and let something happen to me. People don't believe me when I say that I can take care of myself. They don't believe me when I say that I would walk away with a body part before my attacker would win. What the general public doesn't know is that I'm ME. If you don't really know someone, shut up. Don't tell them what they can or cannot do. I'm about to get angry at the America I have so passionately defended. Both in deed and conversation. Can 'we the people' really have learned nothing in the last century? I thought we could do 'anything we put our minds to', yet every time you turn around, you're told you can't do something. Because of whatever reason, we limit ourselves to others expecations, and it makes me sick. There are so many people that have so much potential ... and most of them will never amout to anything because they rely on other people for their strength. They can only do what they're encouraged to do. Not what THEY think they can do, but what others tell them they can do. It's disgusting. It really makes me upset to see so many lives wasted... And I do see... I talk to people all the time who I think could realy use the Marine Corps... I ask them what they're doing with their lives, and then ask if they'd like to think about the Marines. Do you know what 99% of them say?? "Oh I could never do something like that. I'm not strong enough." And you know what? I would bet that 80% of those people are relying on the fact that someone else doesn't think they can do it. Whether it's parents, friends, family, who knows... but they all live with that ghost. The one that lives inside telling you that something is impossible. I hate it. It hurts me to see the self esteem in this country be depleted. Even the cockey ones are only puffing themselves up for fear of being critisized. I can't talk about it anymore.. it exausts me. I'm sorry this wasn't the most uplifting post ever.. but it's what was on my mind... it needed to come out.


2 Comments:
Well...oh, nevermind. I think I'll write you a letter. :)
Some post. And thank you for sharing it.
Ok. Like Susannah, I am going to write you a letter too! ;-) I was here writing my comment and it was getting too long. ;-) So, until this afternoon.
Post a Comment
<< Home