pools of self pity and doubt....swimming... mmm.
Well, That's about all I have to say on that subject. NEXT!
I have a very strange problem. I don't have a life, at least, not the type of life that is good for me. I have school that I squeeze in between poolie stuff and church and karate and everything else that I'm supposed to do, and I never have time to just hang out and have fun. I can't remember the last time I was with a group of my friends and was just able to laugh... I really miss that. Laughing seems like such a simple thing to crave, but I crave it nonetheless. Oh, it's not like I DON'T laugh, it's just not the kind of laughing that make you throw back your head with tears streaming down your face. Or even the kind of laughing where you feel comfortable. The kind where you don't have to quit. I guess I just need time with friends.
Welps... I now have all the motivation I need to get through boot camp. I know that was random and unexplaned, but it's what's on my mind.. or in me head,.... whichever.
I have a new recruter, he has to be my favorite! omg, I have so much to talk about... I guess I have to start at the beginning and keep some sort of timeline so you guys can keep up. The Henderson poolies met at 830 and started driving towards Cashiers (bout two hours away) where another poolie lives. I, being the only girl, have claimed the front seat as my own, and no one challenges me because Gunny said so, and Gunny's a sniper. (hehe.. go me!) ANYWAY! We get to a gas station where we're supposed to meet this guy, and we all need to go to the bathroom, but I helped Gunny unload first. The bathrooms were in the back of the building outside and near the dumpsters. When I finally got back there, I was the only poolie and I was surrounded by latino men. At least 20 were back there and they really started to get loud. It made me so mad! And scared! Crude comments like "hey, can I come in there with you?" and junk like that. Cat calls and stuff all over the place. I, being me, rolled my eyes visably and ignored them. When I got back to the van, I was kind shook up cause they were all up on my case and all that... kinda thought I might have to punch one of them. Well, when I got back, Gunny, being as awsome as he is, asked me what was wrong.. "nuttin" I say... "yeah well," he replys "I've never seen anyone as happy and motivated as you go to the bathroom and loose it all. what's up?"
When I told him that they had made cat calls, he got so mad. He was all like "That's disrespectful to women! I can't stand that! Idiots! I gotta go!" he jumps out of the van and throws on his cover(hat) and walks back towards the group of guys. He picked the biggest, meanest looking one and stared him down. "Who made a call at my girl? Which one was it? Do you make a practise of degrading women? What were you thinking, son? You think you'll do that ever again?"
man... I was in shock.. I couldn't believe he did that for me... or for anyone for that matter. I told the guys that I was shocked that he had done that and they got upset. They all said that they would have done the same thing if Gunny haden't jumped up. They were hurt that I didn't think that they would... they were all honestly upset that those guys had hooted at me! It was so sweet!! I could have just cried and hugged them all.
We finally got to the community center and did our IST (initial strangth test) (1 1/2 mile run, bar hang, sit ups) and then Gunny thrashed us. (heavy exersize) we did all sorts of jumping jacks, leg lifts, crunches, sprints, twists, and everything else on the planet. We could hardly stand. But I did really well. Only one guy beat my time and my crunches... by 10 secs and one crunch... THEN as if we weren't dead enough... Gunny loaded us up and took us to the Nanhala National Forest... to hike... and not just any up hill, ten mile hike, but one with a pace as fast as you can go without jogging. Try walking as fast as you can and that's about how fast we were going. The only guy that had been there before had never been the full round, so we ended up taking a wrong turn and going 5 miles out of the way straight uphill and back around. You couldn't even get up without using your hands, that's how steep it was. Our legs felt like they were going to fall off after the first 7 miles... that's when we stopped to eat a bananna. That's it... a bananna. When we were done, we were so cold in our sweaty shirts that we were looking forward to get 'walking' again. The last 3 miles of the now 15 mile hike were actually the best. It kinda got to where we felt a numb pain all over but our bodies had been walking for about 3 and 1/2 hours so it became almost habit. Gunny made us stop once to get a picture and we almost didn't get started again. And once we got started, we seriously were dreading stopping cause your muscles would hurt worse when you stopped moving. Tried, VERY muddy, and motivated, we got back to the van and begged for Subway. We each ate a footlong sub, two cookies, and a bag of chips with about two cups of water. Three for me. I drank over a gallon of water that day. And the day before just to be prepared. That's we Gunny told us this:


3 Comments:
Wow, that is so cool about your Gunny going and taking care of that dude! I'm glad that you had the chance to get to motivated and wow! Girl, I so couldn't do that! You have my deepest respect in that point! ;-)
I don't know if you remmeber, but awhile ago you said something about how if we see someone wearing a shirt we like, we should tell them, and if someone deserves a compliment to give it to them? Well, I did just that, and I felt so good afterward! It was an awesome feeling. So thank you for making me think about that!
Hey! I'm glad I made you think! I am so SORE today! gosh I can't hardly even move! but oh well! I'm still pumped!! And your enthusiasm makes me so happy!!! Thank you!
Wow, is this "Gunny" the same guy that was about as enthusiastic as an eggplant at the Marines table? He sounds pretty cool. You are one lucky duck, I don't know any guy who would stand up for me that way.
... I'm not suggesting you look like a duck. It was just an expression.
I fully agree that you need a life outside karate and Marines. I wish you would get one, because I miss you a very, very, very much ... and soon you're gonna be gone for an extremely long time, and when you come back it can't be the same as it is now, because we'll both have lives. Ach. Forgive me, I don't mean to throw a rainstorm on your enthusiasm. I'm just being selfish, really, so nevermind.
I also have complete confidance that you will make it through boot camp one way or another.
I'm glad you are happy and motivated, and I pray you remain so. Um, have a fabulous day and remember not to put *too much* faith in your own strength. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home